[Bf-committers] The (un)official render daemon discussion

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 17:00:47 CET 2008

Right, my idea was to have all data stored on the master node. From
there information could be retrieved by the blender instance as
needed. Perhaps a simple "Copy result to directory..." dialog would
work.

With this setup it would also be possible for more than one blender
GUI to connect to the master node.

<OT>
Ah..another TrueSpace convert. Cool I go my start on TS.
</OT>

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:29 AM, Lars Nilsson <chamaeleon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 9:54 AM, Timothy Baldridge <tbaldridge at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The master node would be responsible for managing jobs, transfering
>> data, and stitching files. There would be no shared drive between the
>> nodes, all data will be transferred over TCP sockets.
>
> Did this with tSNet for trueSpace. Couldn't stand the idea of having
> to coordinate mapped drives among machines. One thing I never got
> around to was managing a cache of some sort of resources already
> available on a node, and only transfer data if it is changed (possibly
> removed if some sort of upper limit is imposed on unused resources).
>
> With respect to topology, I think it would be nice if the system
> didn't require the machine I'd be working on using Blender to continue
> to run blender in order for the process to continue. I'd like it to be
> possible to have one or more dedicated machines to doing the rendering
> and job scheduling, regardless of the state of my work machine
> (powered on or off), once the job has been submitted for processing.
> Well, just my own preference, anyway. I realize this would mean not
> necessarily having the resulting render being transferred back to the
> machine submitting the job, but if it allowed me more flexibility,
> it's a price I'd be willing to pay (again, personal opinion, only).
>
> Lars Nilsson

Two wrights don't make a rong, they make an airplane. Or bicycles.