[Bf-committers] Subsurf modeling in CAD

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Tue Nov 11 11:24:34 CET 2008

Hi devs,

Below is a text I got from Claas Kuhnen, teacher Industrial Design in
Michigan. I knew subsurf modeling would be discovered once as superior
to Nurbs! :)

What we probably need is to get good conversion code for Subsurf ->
Nurbs and back. Anyone?

-------------------

I recently saw that Catia from Dassault system incoporated Subdivision
Surfaces into their workflow. It is fully treated as a parametric
system, so NURBS surfaces are created on the fly based on the polygon
mesh and the result can be trimed and further worked on.
Some years ago AmapiPro 7.5 had NURBS subsurface smoothing included
instead
of only Catmull Clark.

Here are some Catia movies showing you the integration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHfAR97mCY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwOuaNvpPLI

I thought you might know that this type of modeling is now finally
becoming the hot topic at Industrial Design. Catia is around 30.000
dollars and I assume that they have serious reasons for including it.

-Ton-