[Bf-committers] SCons matter

Nathan Letwory jesterking at letwory.net
Sat Nov 1 13:57:23 CET 2008

Hi all,

With my latest commits, a lot of people have been complaining about
the requirement for SCons 1.0.0. There's a good list of reasons as why
to move to the newest version here http://scons.org/CHANGES.txt and
that I want, even *need* to work on cleaning up our scons files with a
large array of changes and improvements (for this I'll start a page
over at the wiki).

For some reason it has proven a big problem for those who want to
build, apparently some distributions don't provision for an easy
upgrade from within their repository systems, and doing a manual
install seems to be too hard, too.

Anyway, to make the building experience ever so enjoyable, even
smoother than before, I'll be adding a scons-local install in a scons/
subdirectory to SVN. This means that people don't actually have to
install scons anymore themselves, but can be assured that the latest
is always readily available. To build there'll be only one small
change on the command-line: $> python scons/scons.py

That's it.

So, if there are no clear and proper arguments against, I commit it today.

/Nathan

ps. yes, this is cross-platform, too.