[Bf-committers] Nasm/xvidcore build error on OS X

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Thu May 29 20:12:38 CEST 2008

Ettore Pasquini wrote:
> I am trying to build Blender from trunk on Mac OS X (Leopard) but I am stuck
> at the following error:
>
> $ svn update
> $ scons BF_DEBUG=1  BF_QUIET=0 WITH_BF_OPENEXR=true
>
> nasm -Iextern/xvidcore/src/image/x86_asm/ -f -o
> /Users/ep/svn/blender.org/trunk/build/darwin/extern/xvidcore/src/image/x86_a
> sm/colorspace_yuyv_mmx.o
> extern/xvidcore/src/image/x86_asm/colorspace_yuyv_mmx.asm
> nasm: fatal: unrecognised output format `-o' - use -hf for a list
> type `nasm -h' for help
> scons: ***
> [/Users/ep/svn/blender.org/trunk/build/darwin/extern/xvidcore/src/image/x86_
> asm/colorspace_yuyv_mmx.o] Error 1
> scons: building terminated because of errors.
>
> I am using an intel MBP and I never saw that error before but I haven't
> built blender in a while (several months).  Does anyone have seen this
> before or have ideas how to fix it?

If you haven't build in several months, you probably haven't build since
XVid was added.

You migth try using scons with
   BF_XVIDCORE_CONFIG='--disable-assembly'

or install the latest nasm v2 or later and use
  BF_XVIDCORE_CONFIG='--enable-macosx_module'

See these links:
http://devblog.rorcraft.com/2007/8/18/how-to-compile-ffmpeg-on-mac-and-linux
http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/xvid-with-asm-on-os-x

Ken