[Bf-committers] Bf-committers Digest, Vol 46, Issue 40

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Tue May 27 20:26:37 CEST 2008

Back on Tuesday 27 May 2008, Benoit Bolsee was like:
> > Do you have flipping turned off?
>
> Where do I find the flipping option? Is it a OpenGL driver option?
> I don't have a flipping option in the nVidia control panel, just a quad
> buffer enable/disable option. If I disable quad buffer, Blender displays
> correctly but I can't run games in stereo at the same time. The idea is
> to have quad buffer enabled all the time but still being able to use
> Blender normally.

I don't know if they call it something different in Windows land, but it is a
setting for OpenGL. I may be incorrect on the technical details, but if I
remember correctly, the display is cut up into tiles. There is a display
buffer, and an offscreen buffer and the tiles from the two buffers get
swapped as needed.

I'm not really sure how the quad buffer works (my nvidia card is quite old)
but if Blender works ok when you have it turned off, there probably won't be
a way to have it on while using blender. Games generally use a pretty limited
subset of what is offered by OpenGL, so there are cool tricks to get better
performance in games that can screw other OpenGL apps up. (Hence the option
to turn it on or off)

-Reuben