[Bf-committers] properties per datablock & python

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Wed May 21 19:04:17 CEST 2008

ID properties are basically the new custom property system in blender.
They were originally attached only to datablocks (which is where the
name comes from, since datablocks all include the struct ID in the C
source code).  They're also used in pyconstraints.

Using them isn't too difficult. . .basically you assign different simple
primitive python types to a property, and the code will parse the type
into an id property automatically (or throw an error if it could not).

For example:

object.properties["string"] = "sdfdsf"
object.properties["float"] = 1.0
object.properties["int"] = 1

#only numeric arrays allowed, also if one element is a float number then
 the array is assumed to be a float array.
object.properties["array"] = [0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.0]

object.properties["group"] = {"float": 1.0, "array": [0.0, 1.0, 2.0],
"subgroup": {"string": "ssdfsd"}}

Look at the pydocs for more information.  Note that these do not replace
game properties, which are specific to the game engine (for example, a
timer property wouldn't have much meaning outside the game engine).

One big warning: As always with our API, do NOT keep references to id
properties floating around.  This *will* cause crashes.  Always re-get
the reference whenever you need it.  This is true for most things in the
api as well, btw.

Joe