[Bf-committers] properties per datablock & python

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Sat May 17 19:35:51 CEST 2008

Hi. I think the included ID Properties Editor is fairly limited. It has problems with
big lists of properties (does not support scrolling, at least the last time I
checked). Therefore I started to write my own quite some while ago. I wouldn't
consider it finished (I am to stupid to implement a scrollbar! can you imagine that!
I tried for days but the math behind that is to high for me. gah. therefore the code
is not very clean right now).

Some GUI features I implemented:
rescaling of GUI when the width of the window changes, scrolling (with wheel),
horizontal scrolling (wheel+shift), zooming (wheel+ctrl), panning (MMB), collapsible
sublists (so some kind of treeview) etc.

I wrote a little abstraction layer for blenders GUI functionality. I think the python
API to draw GUIs is very ugly. My abstraction layer makes it much more object
oriented and declarative (you create a button and it will be displayed until you
delete it, no need for something like a draw method). There where ugly things about
memory leaks/unclean state after the script is closed in my script though. I
circumvented them with weak refs (full python needed) and some other ugly hacks.

There sill is a problem about min/max values in numerical inputs, though. What
min/max value should I choose? Blenders input widgets need them.

See:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118333

	-panzi