[Bf-committers] properties per datablock & python

Jonathan-David SCHRODER myselfhimself at free.fr
Sat May 17 13:13:12 CEST 2008

hey
while doing research for annotating objects with some details (for the
blender repo client framework project)

- I stumbled upon a blending into python book entry here :
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Blending_Into_Python/Custom_datablock_properties

- and a 2.42 python api release log on bf-committers which dates back to
january 2007 :
* Blender lib data - Added IDproperties to most libdata - a way you can
assign arbitrary properties data to any Blender libdata.
[...]
Ton has two items on his todo before bcon4

* buttons/panel for custom properties
* cache limitor for new image code

the second item might get punted to after 2.43
[...]

-there's also the python api related page (for objects here but the
properties attribute exist for all kinds of datablocks) where you can see
the IDGroup:properties attribute :
http://www.blender.org/documentation/246PythonDoc/Object.Object-class.html

do you know if some GUI work has been done in C or python to be able to
display&edit non game engine custom properties ?

Do you also know what projects use this IDGroup:properties python
functionnality ? There's just things that look like proposals blending into
python on the wikibook).

I'd be ok to do something in python + gui to be able to do show+edit for all
those custom properties, because this relates to the repo client project I'm
working on
(in our case : details on the original author of the object, date published,
parent blend file it originates from, repository adress it originates
from....)

jonathan

--
http://www.jaxtr.com/myselfhimself