[Bf-committers] Volumetrics Update and Question

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Sat May 17 01:18:24 CEST 2008

On 5/17/08, echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu <echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu> wrote:
>  About particle volumetrics I have some questions:
>  I could plug the volumetric core to anything that the raytracer handle or
>  ray based, but particles seems that are nor raytraced at all (am I wrong?)

Thist idea is a bit of a wild guess and could be totally off-base, but
would you be able to do something like storing the particle
locations/sizes in a kd-tree when converted for render, then as you're
marching the ray steps through it, rather than evaluating the
'density' of the volume based on a 3d texture, you evaluate the
density by looking up to find how many particles are within a given
radius of the shaded point... ?

Matt