[Bf-committers] Microsoft dev support

Jean-Luc Peurière jlp at nerim.net
Wed May 14 12:50:32 CEST 2008

Le 14 mai 08 à 02:40, Kent Mein a écrit :

> I personally think a wmv import/export option would be nice, and
> our bmp import/export could probably be improved.
>
> Another section that could probably use some work is the Windows
> specific ghost section of the code.
>
> I would welcome any improvements they could provide and would just
> mention that for code to be merged with the main code base it
> really needs to be platform independent and have a compatible
> license with the rest of the code (gpl)
>
> And finally thanks in advance for anything they could help with.
>
> We appreciate the offer for help.

As I said before, any help is appreciated, but look for the strings
attached.

One of the biggest strength of blender is that it runs exactly the
same on all
platforms. So any improvement they procure must keep things same.

The most worrying thing about accepting help is the continuous patent
threats
and pseudo pledges microsoft keep doing towards other OSS projects. Why
should they act different specialy for us ?

More, blender is GPL v2 and probably very hard to change to v3. As
much as
I dont like v3, it incorporates some specific wording against those
patent threats
that v2 dont have, so we lack that extra layer of protection. And
that, even if in
EU, software patents are not accepted officially.

WMV, but also Truespace (which they own) native format for input
would be
nice info indeed, but we really need to be cautious here.

Jean-Luc Peurière
jlp at nerim.net