[Bf-committers] Microsoft dev support

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Tue May 13 21:22:41 CEST 2008

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> With respect to Blender, what can you tell me about your community/user
> feedback that you have heard regarding file formats?  Specifically,
> Microsoft is slowly shifting toward a more open standards based
> approach to its file formats.  The ISO standard Office Open XML is an
> example of the direction we are moving towards.
> A good user experience of Blender on Windows is good for your
> project/community and good for Microsoft.  What we are trying to
> understand is what file formats, which are not open or not fully open,
> are impeding the optimal experience with your community. If this is an
> important issue to your users then it also accrues to the experience in
> Windows. I would like to know what feedback you might have received
> regarding the files your users most often import and those they might
> be having a sub-optimal experience with.  Please also include in that
> list any Microsoft files that you might have trouble with.

*Any* file format standard which is not open or fully open can impede
the experience.

I think a better question is why is Microsoft not working more toward
embracing already open file formats (Ogg/Vorbis, FLAC, etc)?  The OOXML
"direction" is the perfect example of exactly what the FOSS community
does not need.

Ken