[Bf-committers] Microsoft dev support

Amos Manneschmidt amoose136 at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:03:18 CEST 2008

If Microsoft is serious about being open source they need to develop a
system like Google's summer of code. Now, to answer some questions.

"With respect to Blender, what can you tell me about your community/user
feedback that you have heard regarding file formats?" Anybody had problems
with file formats? If you're like me you use the .blend extension. Only
possible trouble could be the importers/exporters. (What with all the
triangle mess)

"What we are trying to understand is what file formats, which are not open
or not fully open, are impeding the optimal experience with your community."
.3ds doesn't always import right. Isn't really much trouble though, I just
use .blend. The only thing that really needs changing is the importers. They
just need to be more accurate to the original model. Meaning the importers
should be able to import quads as well as bones, textures, poses, materials,
and animations. That way it would be almost the same as saving in the .blend
format. (As .gif is to .jpeg)

"Please also include in that list any Microsoft files that you might have
trouble with."
Hmm…what file types that we use are owned by Microsoft? Maybe the in-coders
for the renderer? (When saving as a .WMV file?)

Anyway that's my answer. Also, I request any changes made to blender must
not be unique to Windows. I use both Windows and Linux I see the value of
both.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The evil moose

> "With respect to Blender, what can you tell me about your community/user

feedback that you have heard regarding file formats? Specifically,

Microsoft is slowly shifting toward a more open standards based

approach to its file formats. The ISO standard Office Open XML is an

example of the direction we are moving towards.

A good user experience of Blender on Windows is good for your

project/community and good for Microsoft. What we are trying to

understand is what file formats, which are not open or not fully open,

are impeding the optimal experience with your community. If this is an

important issue to your users then it also accrues to the experience in

Windows. I would like to know what feedback you might have received

regarding the files your users most often import and those they might

be having a sub-optimal experience with. Please also include in that

list any Microsoft files that you might have trouble with."