[Bf-committers] Microsoft dev support

erwin at erwincoumans.com erwin at erwincoumans.com
Sun May 11 16:13:02 CEST 2008

>>They also like to know about file format support...

Please ask them to document and open source tools to read/write the FBX file
format.
FBX is the 3D file format of choice of Microsoft and Autodesk, and as far as
I know the tools are closed source, which hinders free developers.

>>I guess that short answer is that any file format that doesn't have a
>>cross platform GPL or LGPL licensed implementation can't be considered
>>optimal for Blender users ;)

File format with other open source implementation to read/write such as BSD,
Zlib or MIT are fine too. From my perspective as run-time format in game
engines those licenses are preferred over (L)GPL, so you can use them on
proprietary consoles without violating an NDA.

Thanks,
Erwin