[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [14779] trunk/blender/release/scripts/ vrml97_export.py: Reverting vrml97_export.py to it' s state at revision 14751 because:

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sat May 10 18:26:11 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 5:58 PM, Chris Want <cwant at ualberta.ca> wrote:
> Campbell Barton wrote:
>> if you cant find tine to maintain a script you should at least varify
>> that another persons changes broke somthing that previously worked
>> before reverting the changes.
>>
>> Before commiting the changes I tried testing with compinations of
>> materials and images to make sure they would load in a VRML viewer.
>> currently material export is very broken, and not exporting faces that
>> have no materials seems ridiciolous.
>>
>> A good compromise would be to only apply fixes from the previous commits.
>
> Hi there,
>
> If you actually tested things, you would have noticed that
> commit 14757 achieved that exact opposite of what you claimed
> you were trying to do. I don't have confidence in what you
> are committing and  don't have time to test right now
> (seriously, I leave on a plane to Frankfurt in about 4 hours
> and I really shouldn't be having this conversation now).
> I don't want to get back after a release and be surprised that
> the vrml script that I maintain no longer does what I
> expect it to. The 'bug' is something that is only
> aggravated when the user does something weird (doesn't
> assign materials to faces), and I would rather take some
> time to devise a good bug fix, rather than just committing
> some quick hack in order to reduce the number of open bugs
> by one.
>
> Further, I asked you to consult with me about changes to this
> script before committing and you did not respect that.
>
> Chris

I doubt there would be a problem with these changes, the RC5 will come
out and users can test. if there are problems the script can be
reverted before release. - If you see this as risky consider adding in
a new particle API.

To my knowledge all other exporters work with faces that have no
materials, this is important because when interchanging data between
applications you often only need the geometry.

The argument that your the maintainer gets weak if your not actually
fixing bugs that have been known for a while.

Ofcourse we should not be having this discussion so close to release,
but annoyingly enough working at the blender institute does not mean
working on blender, and only recently could spend time looking into
bugs etc.
Any blender developer cant be truly dedicated to go off on holiday's
before release, try to arrange your holidays better next time.
</rocking_boat> ;-)