[Bf-committers] [Patch] Add support for using (dynamically) system-wide FTGL libraries.

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Tue May 6 19:36:39 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 06, 2008 at 09:56:52AM +0200, Cyril Brulebois wrote:

> On 05/05/2008, Stephen Swaney wrote:
> >
> > Until the patched version is available in distributions, we are asking
> > for trouble by enabling the use of local system libs rather than our
> > extern dir.
>
> I only proposed a patch making it possible to do it, I wasn't asking you
> to switch the default ???use the embedded code copy statically??? setting to
> a ???use the system-wide library dynamically??? one.

I understand that.  My point is that it is a trap for the unwary.  If
we have a setting to use system libs, it is not unreasonable to use
it.  It is something someone with a little knowlege would tinker with
- why build static when there are lovely dynamic system libs?  The
problem here is that it is guaranteed to fail in almost every case.

Unless the setting is protected by a comment block warning of problems,
it should not be available.

#
# WARNING! DANGER!  DANGER!
# DO NOT CHANGE THIS SETTING.  IT *WILL* BREAK!
# If you change this and ask for help, you will be mocked cruelly.
# We told you so!
# WARNING! DANGER!  DANGER!
#

--