[Bf-committers] bug#10703 loading an .avi captured by dosbox causes a segfault

Michael [Plouj] Ploujnikov ploujj at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:29:48 CEST 2008

I'm trying to fix the bug which I found in Blender while working a
dosbox generated AVI file. You can see the details of the bug on the
actual report page [1].

My first thought was that the FFMPEG code in avcodec_close() is
incorrect to assume a non-null codec. I'm unfamiliar with FFMPEG and I
don't know what exactly closing a codec (context) is supposed to mean.
At the very least, I don't think the FFMPEG code should allow a
segfault. If I should take this problem to the FFMPEG developers,
please let me know. I was hoping to see a fix in the latest git
version of FFMPEG [2] but it looks exactly like the Blender FFMPEG. My
last idea is to see how the codec context (pCodecCtx) is created and
why it points to a null codec in my case. However, again, I'm not
familiar with how FFMPEG is supposed to work so I would like someone
to guide me in the right direction.