[Bf-committers] SoC 2008 proposal : online repository protocol and implementation for any asset

Jonathan-David SCHRODER myselfhimself at free.fr
Mon Mar 31 20:57:42 CEST 2008

Hi,
I've just read the blendernation post telling that the submission deadline
for SoC applications has been postponed to April 7th.
After reading that very article, I'm sending that e-mail to ask you if
anyone is willing to be my mentor or, to talk with me more in depth about my
SoC proposal. So as to see if it worth it considering Blender's current
state of development... if there are design choices I should change...

By the way, I have reworked the proposal I had posted some days ago to this
mailing list.
One slight change I have made to it, is that instead of creating a new
protocol from scratch, I/we could work together with the GetHotNewStuff
(GHNS http://ghns.freedesktop.org/ http://www.kstuff.org/projects/hotstuff)
team from freedesktop.org as Mathias Panzenböck pointed out there. What we'd
do in relation to this project, would be to : complement the protocol if
necessary (rework the XSD files), create a Python client/library for it
(there's one implementation but just in Perl and maybe C++ for now) that
would not depend on Blender, work on a PHP backend code if necessary.

You can check my proposal out below (its content may change anytime) :
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dcsrtj3t_92g33hrcgx
the first half of the page is the version of the proposal to be published on
Google's website.
second comes a detailed version aimed at the Blender Foundation.

So please, if I am not mistaken by the fact that I could be accompanied by
someone mentoring me, would one of you accept to review some things with me
before I commit a last version of my Google Summer Of Code proposal ?

Sincerely,
Jonathan-david Schroder

--
http://www.jaxtr.com/myselfhimself