[Bf-committers] call for test build 2

Kent Mein mein at cs.umn.edu
Mon Mar 31 01:40:19 CEST 2008

> Hi all,
>
> after Ton commits the updated splash we are ready for test build 2,
>
> also it would be good to name them test build instead of rc - since
> release critical usually implies no changes at all other than show
> stopper bug fixes,
>
> LetterRip

I know I haven't made meetings in quite a while so if this has been
talked about please forgive me.  I also want to start with this message
is not directed at Tom, I think hes doing a great job helping out with
things.

Having said all that.  Are we doing a release or no?

If yes, I think it should be just like any other release, who cares if
its a bit under construction or not.  If we note it in the download page
its a non issue.  I think things are way to wishy washy right now and
everyone has no clue whats up with things.

I think in general blender development is going great, I think the
last couple of releases though have dragged out a lot longer than all
of the others and it has made things harder not easier.  (I do think
there will be releases that take longer and special exceptions, however
this seems to be a trend in the wrong direction.  It could just
be me)

If were doing a release we should stick to the formal process and just
get it over with.  Sticking with things leads to better results and
people just need to deal with it.  Were still missing the linux build for
the first test release.  So if were gonna do it, lets get our butts
in gear and do a release.

If this is not a release why are we doing test builds, aren't the builds
on graphical enough?  Lets skip this monkeying around, when the peach
team says ok builders were tagging please build.  Then lets do a build
call it a preview release or beta or whatever and just get everyone
to build it as quickly as possible.  Then move on.  Unless we notice
some serious problems.

Ok I'm done venting. ;)

Kent
mein at cs.umn.edu