[Bf-committers] GSOC - Math Library Project

Daniel Barbeau danielpgb_vasquez at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 29 23:43:19 CET 2008

> Actually, there was an old review on Blitz and several other libs and it
> seemed though it is named "Blitz" which actually implies attributes like
> "fast", etc. it was _NOT_ the fastest matrix lib (same with old ATLAS lib).
>
> Greetings
> Daniel

That doesn't really surprise me. Actually, I think that the Blitz term means that the lib is a good compromise between speed at use and speed at execution. It also relies heavily on the capability of the compiler to optimise the templates. I haven't seen assembly code in there so I guess it can't win against arch-optimised libraries.
Anyway, Blitz was just an example to illustrate the possibility that there might be useful things out there.

Ciao!
Daniel