[Bf-committers] GSOC - Math Library Project

Daniel Barbeau danielpgb_vasquez at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 29 15:21:38 CET 2008

Hello,

Has there been any investigation to find out if this wouldn't be duplicating efforts? I think there are already some libraries out there. Such an approach has the big advantage of not duplicating efforts.  Relying on a third party library does create some trouble, but it has the big advantage of not creating fresh untested code.

I'm thinking of Blitz++ or GSL.
http://www.oonumerics.org/blitz/
http://www.gnu.org/software/gsl/

Blitz++ has a reputation of being fast by using templates. There already are C++ libraries in Blender. Blitz++ could be part of it no in the "lib" directory? It seems to be stable so you would need to sync every month with the main code.

So a SoC could be to integrate Blitz or GSL to Blender by creating bindings to it (in the extern dir) and rebinding blender math calls to that lib...

My 2 cents!
Daniel