[Bf-committers] Blender, CSG and Carve

Ken Hughes khughes at pacific.edu
Fri Mar 28 18:37:32 CET 2008

This thread kind of died out suddenly last month.  I was just wondering
if the issue is dead or still being considered.

Ken

Le 13 févr. 08 à 00:43, Tobias Sargeant a écrit :

>/ Hi,
/>/
/>/ I'm the developer of Carve, a fast and robust CSG library (there's
/>/ some information here: http://carve-csg.com/). It is currently a
/>/ commercial product, licensed to a major mining software company. For a
/>/ long time I've considered dual licensing Carve along the same lines of
/>/ Qt (free for non-commercial use, separate license for commercial use),
/>/ specifically so that it could be incorporated into Blender. I believe
/>/ that Carve improves significantly on the CSG code currently available
/>/ in Blender.
/
Second license need to be GPL compatible for inclusion in blender.
That means it must be copyleft and you cannot restrict ulterior uses. A
company, if it is prepared to publish his own code could take your
lib from there and abbid to the GPL, and you would have no right to
oppose.

The first license can be anything
>/
/>/ I'd like to know, first, whether there's any interest from blender
/>/ developers in pursuing this (maybe CSG isn't an important enough
/>/ feature; I'm not sure). If there is, is there anyone who has
/>/ experience or advice regarding the associated licensing issues?
/

CSG isnt important for the moment because of the weakness of the library
we use.  But CSG is a very imporant tool in a modelling package,
especially
if it can also support trim operations.

So yes, I'm (and i think all of us) interested if you can improve the
situation in
that area.

Jean-Luc Peurière
jlp at nerim.net <http://lists.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-committers>