[Bf-committers] ndof issues

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 13:53:11 CET 2008

Dariusz has been using the SpaceNavigator and ran into some problems.

Reported here (text below)
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=8756&group_id=9&atid=125

While getting it working I used it enough to find problems (mainly
with different axies taking effect in ways that didn't relate in any
logical way to what I was doing on the space navigator)

If these are known problems then its just a matter of getting around
to fixing them before release, (or fixing our configuration)

At the moment its the last 2 weeks or so of peach so I dont have
enough time to look into these issues. but later on I can definitely
work on some areas of ndof.

------------------- Copy of the report

Background:
We testing 3dconnexion device for Apricot Open Game - seems it's
perfect tool for levelmaking. I have Ubuntu 8.04, and
quite recent blender svn version.

Bugs:
1. focus: when I'm using this device, then other things loosing focus,
for example I can't use mouse wheel (I need to
pan or clock on something and mouse wheel works again), it's also hard
to make mouse gestures, you need to click twice.
2. independent speed: now speed of the moving depends on polycount (if
it's high polycount then I'm moving very slow)
it should drop frames like in games
3. axes are confused Y with Z in transform (I know that we can change
this in setup but then, other axes are opposite,
so we need one layout).
4. Transforming object is in world space, should be in view space
5. Turntable mode is much much more sensitive (moving, rotating) than
other modes
6. I think rotating in Z should be opposite in turntable mode
7. maybe it's Linux driver bug, but left rotation is much faster than
rotation to right side

Enhancements:
1. Would be great to grab object and move it together with moving view
using 3dconnexion. At this moment it's impossible
because GKEY changes mode from fly to transform, and grabbing
transform arrow stops 3dconnexion input.

Greetings