[Bf-committers] release status update

Stephen Swaney sswaney at centurytel.net
Sun Mar 23 15:13:46 CET 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 04:56:55PM -0800, Tom M wrote:

> For whatever reason RC naming scheme has been used for Blender test
> builds for builds that should more correctly be called tech preview
> and testing builds (I have argued against the RC naming method in the
> past for what it is worth..).  Yes there is still work that is yet to
> be finished before a real release can be done.

Bjornmose has a point.  The phrase "Release Candidate" already has
a common meaning of "this is pretty much what you are going to get".
Our RCs are not that yet for the reasons already pointed out.

Yes, changing the naming to something like Tech Preview or Test Builds
will be swimming uphill, but worth doing.  Already on IRC, people have
made the argument that we cannot change something because we are doing
Release Candidates.  I have no doubt the users are even more confused.

The sooner we clear this up, the better.

S.
--
Stephen Swaney
sswaney at centurytel.net