[Bf-committers] BIH progress update

Joe Eagar joeedh at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 02:04:58 CET 2008

Yves Poissant wrote:

> Thinking about, designing and developing a generic SIMD macro library or set
> of classes would be a sidetrack that is way beyond my commitment. Could that
> be an interesting SoC project? The main hurdle is not so much abstracting
> the operations in an efficient way but the fact that the data layout for
> SIMD operation is also specific plus memory alignment issues. This said,
> abstracting the SIMD operations in an ultra optimal way is also a primary
> requirement. My experience, so far, with SSE is that it is very easy to
> loose any gain with just a little sloppy implementation.

I thought Altivec and SSE both used the same memory layout structure
(though Altivec does have more SIMD registers then SSE)?  If I remember
right, they both require the same 16-byte alignment in memory as well,
though I could be wrong.
>> BTW, do you have a link to that forum post? It sounds cool.
>>

> http://ompf.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=781

Thanks.
> Look at post #4 for the c source file. It is cool indeed. I may try it just
> for my own education to see how well it can really accelerate the ray to
> scene intersection process.

I'd be interested to know how your tests work out.
> If you are interested in SSE implementations, you should take a look at
> Arauna : http://igad.nhtv.nl/~bikker/ and look at his kdtree.c source code.

I'll take a look, thanks.