[Bf-committers] Google Summer of Code 2008

Chris Want cwant at ualberta.ca
Tue Mar 18 22:56:13 CET 2008

Fredrik Hallenberg wrote:
> Chris Want wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> Good news: we have just received notice from Google that
>> Blender will participate in the 2008 Summer of Code
>> program!
>
> Nice, is there some kind of summary on what has happened with the 2007
> GSOC projects available? Have any of the projects been commited to trunk?

Hi Fredrik,

Here is a summary of the 2007 Summer of code projects (copy/pasted
from our application to participate):

""
All five of our 2007 Summer of Code projects were successful, and one of
these projects has been integrated into Blender and will be showcased
during our next release, which will be rolled out within the next couple
of months. This particular project, the bevel modifier by Levi Schooley,
allows artists to reduce unnatural looking sharp edges on meshes
instantly, in a non-destructive manner. This is an excellent tool that
gives Blender a huge competitive edge, and will speed up the work flow
for many artistic projects. Two other 2007 projects (sound API and deep
shadow maps) are slated to be added to Blender soon, but it is unknown
whether they will be added in time for the next release. Some of the
other 2007 projects will probably be integrated into Blender in future
releases, but no time line has yet been set.
""

Regards,
Chris