[Bf-committers] Summer of Code 2008 Ideas

J.P. Tuttle jtuttle at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 18:13:23 CET 2008

Hey.

I'm three-quarters of my way through my freshman year of college at RPI.
  I'm doing a dual-major of Computer Science and Product Design &
Innovation.  I've used Blender for several years now, and I'm thinking
of doing Summer of Code this year.  The CS courses are in C++.  I have a
few ideas for features that I might want to work on:

1. Some sort of offline help system.  I know the Help menu has a link to
the manual in the wiki, but having some sort of more traditional offline
help system would be quite useful for laptop users who may not always
have net connections, as well as beginners, who hopefully wouldn't have
to wander around the net as much to find tutorials.

2. More settings for wireframe/vertex thickness.  My first (and only,
right now) hack of the Blender source was to add double-thick
wireframes.  I know Wings has options for seperate wireframe thickness
and vertex size for active/selected/unselected components; it's quite
nice, and it would be a nice feature to have in Blender (and doesn't
seem *too* complicated).

3. I'm not sure if this would work as a Summer of Code project, but from
what I understand, with the upcoming event/tool refactor, there is going
to be a lot of grunt work (rewriting every tool in Blender, I think) to
do; I would be glad to help out in any way I can.

What do you guys think?

-- J.P. Tuttle
email: jtuttle at gmail.com
   IRC: jpt9