[Bf-committers] Making clustering easy?

Cyril Brulebois cyril.brulebois at enst-bretagne.fr
Tue Mar 11 23:40:25 CET 2008

Hi folks,

I know there's already -t (strangely listed under “Format options:” in
the “--help” message) to handle threads, but I'm wondering whether it
might make sense to add an option to make blender fork into N (or N-1)
processes (as opposed to or in complement to using threads).

I know it's always possible to use a wrapper around Blender, but it
would be very convenient to have this functionality included in official
releases, e.g. through such an option.

That shouldn't be too much work, just calculating N(-1) slices, and
passing the appropriate parameters to the childs.

In case someone wonders, some clustering solutions make it possible to
migrate processes, but not (yet) threads, that's why I'm looking forward
to a fork()-based solution, rather than one based (only) on threads.

Thank you for any input.

Cheers,

--
Cyril Brulebois