[Bf-committers] How can I send performance data reliably?

Eric Cosky eric at cosky.com
Tue Mar 11 08:35:50 CET 2008

When all the code is on a machine outside your control, your options are
limited and none are going to guarantee 100% that nobody has messed with the
data. You do have options though. Obfuscate as much as you can is a good
start, but be sure to add marker values to detect when the 'obvious' values
are messed with.

Unfortunately if it is important to people, they will probably reverse
engineer it. If your obfuscation & marker techniques don't change very often
or very much then it's probably not worth the bother.

The only real solution to this problem that I can think of is to require a
connection to a server, have the server generate some unique 'seed' data (a
.blend file with a generated image, for example) that must be processed by
the client and automatically submitted, and the server can then timestamp
the submission & verify the results are what they should be given the seed
data.

A lot of bother imho..