[Bf-committers] FFMPEG compile error (ubuntu Feisty)

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Sun Mar 9 14:12:16 CET 2008

Under Ubuntu /bin/sh is NOT bash. It's dash, which is another sh compatible shell.

It is sh compatible, not bash compatible. A lot of people do not know what things
actually are bash extensions to the sh syntax and therefore every now and then you
stumble over a shell script that does not work with Ubuntu. (The kopete LaTeX plugin
was one of those.) Replacing the shebang with #!/bin/bash should work.

The reason for the switch was that bash was to slow and big. (Don't ask me for what
bash is to slow/big. Mac OS X uses bash too and Mac OS X is waaaay faster than Linux
in terms of startup/shutdown time. So it makes no sense to use dash for the init
scripts. And where else should such a little speed improvement matter?)

See:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh

	-panzi