[Bf-committers] NDOF input devices generalization

Ettore Pasquini ettore_pasquini at 3dconnexion.com
Mon Mar 3 22:59:55 CET 2008

Hello Jean-Luc,

I hope your recovery is proceeding smoothly :)
I wanted to touch base with you about the NDOF efforts.
We at 3Dconnexion would really love to see our devices supported in an
official Blender release, that would be our ultimate goal.

We understand that in order to do that, we'd need to provide in our solution
support for generic NDOF devices including ours and other joysticks, hence
removing links to our drivers in the plugins.

I think you mentioned in the past that you had done some (or were thinking
to do)  work for this device generalization effort: I was curious to know
what's the status of that project.  In fact, I also have developed in the
last few months a cross-platform open source (BSD) library that abstracts
out a generic NDOF device abstraction.  My main objective was to provide a
uniform API for application developers so that the device, whatever it is,
it's dealt with using the same calls.  This library sits on top of standard
OS frameworks (HID on OS X, DirectX on Windows) with no dependencies on our
proprietary drivers.   It's not thoroughly tested and it could be improved,
however it seems to work quite well on Windows and OSX.  I still have to
code the Linux version.

Please let me know what's the status of the device generalization project
and how  I can help.

Thanks,

Ettore

--