[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [13943] trunk/blender/release/windows/ installer/00.sconsblender.nsi: NSIS Installer:

Simon Clitherow aphex at nildram.co.uk
Sun Mar 2 21:55:00 CET 2008

Tom M wrote:

> Is it for certain that we need this?
>
> "MessageBox MB_OK "You will need to download the Microsoft Visual C++
> 2005 Redistributable Package in order to run Blender. Pressing OK will
> take you to the download page, please follow the instructions on the
> page that appears."
>
> Everytime an individual has had a problem, installing python 2.5 has
> fixed it, and I know of no instance where installing the MVC
> redistributable has fixe a problem,
>
> LetterRip

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's needed. Just to try to clear this up...

Blender itself needs msvcr80.dll to run, and the python 2.5 dll needs
msvcr71.dll.  If a user downloads and installs python, they're still
only getting msvcr71.dll.  The redistributable gives you msvcr80.dll.

The installer checks for the presence of 71 and 80. If it only finds 80,
it tells the user to install python. If it only finds 71, it'll tell
user to download the redist.

Hope that helps :)

Simon