[Bf-committers] BGE improvements: States and state engine

Benoit Bolsee benoit.bolsee at online.be
Thu Jun 12 21:37:22 CEST 2008

Hi Cam

Your remarks concern the second phase of this project for which separate
state entities will clearly be needed.
At this stage, the states will be libdata entities with properties on
their own (and corresponding actuator/sensors). On the Python API, the
state will be addressable directly with a getCurrentState() function.

Groups better than parent/child? Probably. I don't know about groups; my
knowledge of Blender's internal is pretty much limited to the GE. I came
with this idea of family because a game object is rarely alone and
relies on child objects to perform, for example several empties with ray
sensors so sense the proximity of the ground, or accessoiries like a gun
etc. Making separate states for these objects seems overkill. If a state
engine becomes a separate entity, we need to find a way to map the state
bricks to a group of objects dynamically.

I'll start now with the first step of the work, which does not require
separate state entities.

Ben