[Bf-committers] Premul option in images -> on by default

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Mon Jun 2 06:12:38 CEST 2008

Hi,

Since the release of Blender 2.46 there's been a whole bunch of
support threads [1] posted asking why image textures now have white
pixelated outlines. This is due to the new image texture 'premul'
option which is off by default. People are opening up their old files
from 2.45 (which had no option and always assumed the equivalent of
premul being on), and their textures which seemed fine in 2.45 aren't
being premultiplied, and leading to nasty artifacts.

I'm not sure who's responsible for this change, but I'd recommend that
before 2.46a (or 2.47, whatever it is called),
a) images should default to premul being on
b) on converting old <2.46 files, premul should be turned on for every image

If nobody can fix this, or find out who is in charge of this area, I
might as well end up committing it myself, so speak up now :)

cheers

Matt

[1] eg. http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=125613