[Bf-committers] Volumetrics update

echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu echelon at infomail.upr.edu.cu
Fri Jul 18 19:17:49 CEST 2008

Hi all!

 Dew to local politics, internet access get more restricted (and my blood
pressure keep growing ;) and during august all the servers will be
shutting downs so dont expect updates from my part (in september I hope
things will get their normal course)

  Although the first release was inmature and still requires a lot of
things to be solved (some of them very important) I start to make some
incursions in datasets volumetrics.

 Firstly I implemented a brute force method with raw datasets, and work.
Although the algorithm are very slow (because the files are unstructured)
It has showed me that the core are independent from the sample methods
 and the Do_vol_Tex() function are the one that should handle only that task.

that function return a value for a sampled x,y,z point in space no matter
what that function do for get tha value (texture
stack,nodes,datasets,simulations,IFS and so on)

  If some devs have time to play with the code try to implement other
algorithm for that function and you will see that everything still works
fine.

 I have to made some design desitions for datasets:
1-Raw ascii unstructured datasets (slow but very,very flexible and
powerfull) (is a must)
2-make an own file format with the posibility to easy make convertors to
other formats like DICOM or directly implement support for them ? (I think
that the first option will be easier because latter with python should be
ok to make importers and exporters to new file formats or others....)