[Bf-committers] vertex paint mode features requests and a small patch

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 23:21:23 CEST 2008

Hi all developers.
After Apricot new resolutions I hope we still have coders starving to code :)

I'm working in a project using Blender Game Engine.
This project was already covered by BlenderNation
(http://www.blendernation.com/2008/04/09/fish-population-data-visualisation-internships-at-great-northern-way-campus-vancouver/)
so I will not spend your precious time with the description of it  :D

To allow fine adjustments, we need more control over the overall
painting process, and from our perspective Blender tools need some
improvements.
We tried to report some related bugs (e.g. the blur mode bug) and even
code something.

Unfortunately cpp is still a bit over my head so in this matter the
longer we got was this small patch to enable wireframe display in
vertex paint mode:
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=17319&group_id=9&atid=127

The reason I'm writing here is to request some features related to the
vertex paint mode, and see if any coder would like to volunteer to
that.

What we need so far in order of importance:

1) Paint through mode: an option to paint through the visible faces.
2) Mirror-X painting (as there is in the weight paint mode).

In case of free time, there are other stuff we think can help to
improve Blender:

1) Blending options after we copy the vertex colors from the current
material texture
    To get the vertex color from the current material you need to set
the Emit value in the shaders tab to any high value, and in the vertex
paint panel remove the current vertex add a new one.
   The problem we get is that Blender only blend the values after we
paint again.
   A solution so far is to paint subtracting the color black. That way
we are not affecting the paint and we activate the blend effect.
   Maybe a script to import the colors from a specific texture could
be good enough

2) Vertex Cameleon - http://www.renderheads.com/portfolio/VertexChameleon/

Thanks for your time, and I hope these requests (specially the first
one) could be attended,
best regards,

Dalai Felinto
http://blenderecia.orgfree.com