[Bf-committers] Shader?

Antonio Martos martos.antonio at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 20:17:19 CEST 2008

My apologies if this is not the right list for this question, feel free to
send me to the right one.

I'm working in a photogrammetry tool core that at this moment of development
requires some user interface to edit meshes and manipulate them.
The idea is to build an interactive modeling tool assisted by real
photographs as source, using GLSL pixel shaders and forcing some constraints
so the user can accurate model and texture objects in a 3D editor easily.
The last part is still not done.

I think that it is better to try to integrate this into a mature 3D software
like Blender instead of trying to reinvent the wheel rewriting a full user
interface, but I'd like to know in advance it this is possible before
involving too much.

My question is:
Is it possible (and easy) to build and use custom "pixel shaders" (GLSL
shaders, the better) inside Blender *editor* so photographs are projected
onto the 3D model as textures, but using some special transformations, in
real time, while being edited? Performance is quite important.

Can you give me some advice where to start looking for? Is there somebody in
the development team that might be interested in helping with this?

Thank you in advance