[Bf-committers] Motion Blur

Early Ehlinger earlye at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 17:53:46 CET 2008

Hi Sven,

I might be wrong, but I believe the reason it normally isn't done this way
is something like this.

Let's suppose we're going to do 4 renders per frame.  Then Frame 1 might use
T = 0.5 , 0.75 , 1.0 , 1.25 , and Frame 2 might use T = 1.5 , 1.75 , 2.0 ,
2.25.

As you can see, there's no overlap in the time domain between the two
frames.  If there were, the blurs would likely appear to "stutter" a bit,
which could be a neat effect if it's what you want, but probably would look
poor.

One thing I experimented with a while back was turning motion blur off,
changing my animation to produce slow motion (say 10x number of frames),
render it across my farm, then "speed it up" using ImageMagick to average
each set of 10 frames together.  The results were pretty cool, because the
renders were quick due to lack of Blender-provided motion blur, but still
blurry thanks to rendering 10x the number of frames.  If I recall, this was
the only way I could actually get motion blur with fluids, but I could be
mistaken.  It's been a long time since I tried it.

-- Early Ehlinger, President, ResPower, Inc.