[Bf-committers] Discussion of a Blender Compile Farm

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 17:05:26 CET 2008

The one thing I'm wondering is why are we discussing VM's and cross
compiling? It's not like a compile takes all that much CPU power. For
the past week I've been using my dual core Opteron (1.8Ghz) for
compiling the windows builds. It can have a build online 3 minutes
after a SVN commit, and I never even know that it's running (that may
be due to the fact that SVN is single threaded).

> >> I know you can do all this with CruiseControl/CruiseControl.Net
> >> (Automated Continuous Integration server). I used CruiseControl.Net
> >> before and it works great. I found out about this software by looking
> >> around on the sharpdevelop page. CruiseControl/CruiseControl.Net. uses
> >> Ant, but you can start Scons from Ant.

I also have to ask, what does cruise control offer that my idea can't.
Don't get me wrong, If CC is the better program then by all means lets
use it. But, from what I'm reading it uses a loop, basically doing a
cronjob build. How is this better than simply attaching to the Mailing
list and only doing builds when there is a change?

Also, whatever happens we shouldn't restrict ourselves to the blender
foundation's servers for building. The python script I wrote has the
added benefit of allowing "trusted" people to create builds from all
over the world.

Like I said, don't take this as "it wasn't written here" syndrome, I
just don't see a benefit in using CC.

Timothy