[Bf-committers] Discussion of a Blender Compile Farm

Giuseppe Ghibò ghibo at mandriva.com
Sun Jan 27 22:21:44 CET 2008

Timothy Baldridge wrote:

> I currently use a Python script to automate it all. It
>
>> I know you can do all this with CruiseControl/CruiseControl.Net
>> (Automated Continuous Integration server). I used CruiseControl.Net
>> before and it works great. I found out about this software by looking
>> around on the sharpdevelop page. CruiseControl/CruiseControl.Net. uses
>> Ant, but you can start Scons from Ant.
>>

> Whatever is used needs to be cross platform, since I see little use
> having to maintain multiple platforms, when Python can unify the code
> base.
>
> Timothy Baldridge

IMHO there is a much simpler way than using emulators (QEMU, etc.) or
.NET frameworks, and is to usea  cross-compiler gcc (and
cross-compiler binutils) for compiling either the program and the needed libraries
for any platform on the fly. To build a cross-compiler gcc you have to compile
the compiler using the --target option (e.g. for win, a 'mingw32' target).
In this way you have a set of crosscompilers on a single platform (e.g. linux),
which can automate the build for the various targets with a
simple bash script, to be placed in a daily cronjob.

[ Then if someone is willing and wants something more interactive the
same script could be called for instance by a sort of web interface
written using mod_python, but this is another story... ].

Bye
Giuseppe.