[Bf-committers] Bugfixing Help

Martin Poirier theeth at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 17:02:15 CET 2008

Hi,

--- Timothy Baldridge <tbaldridge at gmail.com> wrote:

> From the meeting notes, I noticed that Ton and the
> others aren't going
> to be helpig with the Tech Preview release. So I'm
> not sure who to
> send this letter to. I really would like to start
> helping with
> Blender's development, but I need a contact person.

There's often people hanging around in #blendercoders
on irc.freenode.net if you need quick answers to
questions, if it's more of a discussion you want to
start up, here or funboard is fine.

> I know C/C++,
> Python and OpenGL like the back of my hand, and have
> a good handle of
> the blender source, so that's not an issue, but I
> need to know where to start.

Usually, people either start by scratching a itch.
Fixing things or adding features that affects them
personally, or diving into a module that particularly
interest them (animation, mesh, nurbs, ...).

You can always contact the module owners (
http://www.blender.org/development/current-projects/module-owners/
) directly if you're more interested in a particular
section of the code.

> Of course I don't have SVN access, so I'd
> either need that,
> or need a place to send patches too, as well as I
> need someone to
> assign me a few tasks to look at.

You'll find the bug and patch tracker on pbo
(projects.blender.org), more particularly there:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?group_id=9

> So can anyone give me a hand here, or am I just
> going to need to wait?

Lets not make you wait.

Was what I said enough or were you looking for a more
detailed answer?

Always glad to help new devs.

Martin