[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [13270] branches/blender2.5/blender/source /blender/editors/screen: * First working version of a new split tool for areas.

GSR gsr.b3d at infernal-iceberg.com
Thu Jan 17 19:26:57 CET 2008

Hi,
johnny.matthews at gmail.com (2008-01-17 at 1009.21 -0600):
> Nathan, I like the feel of this in the 2.5 build. I'm curious how you plan
> to extend this for collapsing areas.

Interesting point. I think the drag thing overloads an area with
visual noise and fuctions, for things that I think most people are not
doing every 10 seconds (if that is the case, then the problem is
other, a system should not require constant change of interface,
should it?). We already have the separator that has a task and must be
visible all the time, is there really a need for yet another thing on
screen? Why so much love of muscle straining drags (maybe I missed the
memo in which Blender declared dropping "drags are bad" policy)? Why
it has to only work from one corner of the four avaliable? Maybe two,
the header ones? What about areas without headers?

OTOH, there is a problem that seems to be ignored: how to quickly
delink a multi area border. You have four areas, A to D, move the edge
between B and D so it is at the same level than the A-C one, and then
both separtors become linked, without easy way to rearrange areas (you
have to split D into Dtop and Dbottom, and merge B into Dtop).

A | B      A | B
--+        ==#== Linked
C | D      C | D

Context menu in the edge you want to move could give the option.

GSR