[Bf-committers] questions on the implicit solver commit

bjornmose bjornmose at gmx.net
Thu Jan 10 02:01:10 CET 2008

Hi,
just wanted to publish that here,
because i feel there is a rising divergence in what users think the
softbody module is for and what i am working on.
Even if the softbody module gets better in faking cloth it has other
tasks to cover /* such as make nice wobbeling bellies */ and just
because i 've added extensions to cover materials that have a distinct
behaviour on push and pull that does not mean the softbody module claims
anything close to true physical simulation, though i think keeping close
to the knowledge some physicists have won't hurt.
further more i am guilty for renaming controls to somethings non math
people might understand ..
i'd better stop now

tsk
why at all? because i spent the time to answer that mail

BM

Hi,
well, soft bodies are not exactly for cloth simulation, but as the name
says for soft jiggeling objects.
There is an extra branch in SVN intended to have cloth specialized code.
Most of the papers i read on cloth simulations deal with mass spring
sytems.
I basicly refer to the Pixar paper by Baraff and Witkins and they state
that very hard springs are needed to get nice looking cloth.
Further it is well known that systems with strong elastic forces and
high damping lead to stiff sets of ODEs.
The general approach is to invoke a implicit solver. Since solving
inplicit nonlinear equations is a topic on its own
the way mostly followed is a taylor expansion to 1rst order and
rearrange the equations.
The most simpele variant of this is the so called impicit euler. This is
what i also committed here.
What's missing is a smart step size control to go as fast as possible
withing a given error limit.

The 'old' and good (fast) solver for soft bodies is a symplectic
adaptation of a 2nd order runge kutta type.
Of cause with adaptive step size.
Funny enough my experience so far is, because it is very simple it
performs faster than the implicit most of the times
though it has to do much smaller steps. But as i said in the commit,
building up and inverting that huge sparse matrix
is quite expensive so, that the benefit of going large steps is balanced
against the extra costs.

As stated before the softbody shoots in other directions than beeing a
perfect cloth solver.
But the papers i read made me 'steal' the concepts to widen the possible
use of the softbody engine.
Recent event to look into this a bit deeper is the new particle system.
Most of the complaints were about:
when softbodies are applied to 'hair'   it was too stretchy. That is why
a gave it a try.

cheers
BM