[Bf-committers] Layer System code

Ton Roosendaal ton at blender.org
Wed Jan 2 20:12:05 CET 2008

Hi,

Yes I aim at removing G. Try to code things locally, like from scene or
view3d context. That will make migration to 2.5 relatively painless.

However, recoding the layer system is going to affect a whole lot of C
files though, so you might consider to first work on proof-of-concept?
And later on help to migrate it to the new blender source; this mostly
because for 2.5 nearly *every* function that's now in blender/src needs
to be revamped.

I also want to emphasis that a redesign for the layer system is not an
easy task... the proposal in wiki has good parts, but also flaws. (bone
layers could better have been groups, the UI mockups are ehh... ). It
would really help to get the design specs right first, not about
implementation, but on abstract level: (quote from stivs)

> 1) Figure out what you need (Requirements)
> 2) Decide how to provide those features (Design)

I quickly went over the discussion about this, and there's several good
analysis contributions. Who brings this together in a great design?

Like; what is a layer? What then is Group good for? And what if we
really want photoshop/gimp style layers in Blender (like with blending
operations)? And how does the Outliner relate to it? And so on... the
2.5 recode definitely allows us to bring in Blender great new concepts,
easier than trying it in current trunk...

-Ton-