[Bf-committers] point cache

Roland Hess rolandh at reed-witting.com
Fri Feb 29 15:08:49 CET 2008

I have to give a big second to what Matt said. Having tried to use cloth
on my current animation project, I've found that while the sim itself is
very easy and simple to set up, it is the larger workflow issues and
general sense of "flakiness" that made me have to take another route.
I've also found myself wondering why such small (in kb) folders of cache
files can't be packed into the .blend, especially when I'm sending stuff
to my render farm. Sure, I can copy the cache folders to the proper
directory on my farm, because it's my own, but not everyone is going to
have that kind of access.

Two things that have hampered my workflow in general with cloth, SBs and
particles are a lack of pre-roll capability and the need to simulate
every frame. Clearly, the fact that the sim system is tied to frame
advance with Alt-A is a major factor in both of these. If you're
thinking about implementing a "Bake" function, then pre-roll (allowing
negative frame values) should certainly be considered. In addition, in
many cases (and especially when you're still searching for your correct
initial settings) it would be beneficial and more than good enough to
calculate the sim on, say every other frame (or every 3rd, 5th, etc.)
then interpolate. You lose accuracy and gain speed, but for many
applications, that's exactly what you want.

--
Roland Hess
IT Manager and Digital Prepress