[Bf-committers] BIH acceleration structure?

Yves Poissant ypoissant2 at videotron.ca
Tue Feb 26 22:37:02 CET 2008

Thanks Brecht for the patch. I will start with that and optimize it. It is
better to already have something to kick-start with, especially since I'm
new to the Blender source. When you say "that should work with the latest
svn". I guess that means the latest v2.50 branch. Right?

Yes. you are right that optimizing the ray-triangle intersection test is an
important consideration for speed. Wachter's thesis have a whole section
about exactly that and he concludes that the Barycentric test is the most
numerically stable, is one of the fastest and the barycentric representation
can be encoded on a very small memory footprint. From my experience with BVH
and kd-trees, though, optimizing memory layout and usage is the most
important factor to get optimal speed.

Regards,
Yves