[Bf-committers] BIH acceleration structure?

Tom M letterrip at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:13:13 CET 2008

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 8:19 AM, Yves Poissant <ypoissant2 at videotron.ca> wrote:
> Hi there,

Hello,

[snip]

quite an impressive resume, we are happy to have you join us.

Regarding BIH,

as mentioned by joe, apparently Brecht worked on BIH some, also Kier
did (as mentioned in the wiki - the University of Toronto students
ended up doing composite nodes instead), but neither BIH effort came
to fruition.  I contacted Kier, but apparently the coding he did is
locked away on a laptop that he doesn't have access to and has no idea
when he might have access to it again.

Noone is working on BIH at this time as far as I know, but you might
want to check with Brecht (he follows this mailing list but might be
behind on his reading due to being busy with peach - Brecht Van Lommel
<brechtvanlommel AT pandora DOT be>  ) to see if he plans to pick it
back up or if his todo list is long enough that he is unlikely to
return to it in the near future.

>  Also, I'm not quite sure what are the custom for such a project. Do I need
>  to submit something and/or does such a project needs to be approved in some
>  way?

Letting us know of your plans on this list is an excellent start.  If
you don't hear from brecht soon, I'd dive in.  Once you have it either
finished or good preliminary results please place a patch in the patch
tracker, and email a notice to the list.  Also you might want to
provide a testing build for users to play with so that bugs are less
likely to be encountered when the patch is reviewed.

You might also want to stop by #blendercoders on irc.freenode.net

Also we have a weekly meeting on sundays for developer
discussion/decisions - see the wiki for details and times.
(Discussion can take place at any time of the week and on the mailing
list, so the meeting is primarily for decisions and status updates -
also immediately after the meeting the majority of developers are
present so asking questions and discussions have the highest chance of
someone knowledgable in that area being present ).

Glad to have you join us, good luck,

LetterRip