[Bf-committers] _LARGEFILE_SOURCE

Giuseppe Ghibò ghibo at mandriva.com
Tue Feb 19 12:10:38 CET 2008

Ton Roosendaal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The fact you added this flag to *every* compiled source file in Blender
> is not very nice. You also only supported it for Scons, so every
> (future) make system should copy this, with all errors and undocumented
> dangers deriving from it.

I followed the same approach that every library was using, i.e. having
the largefile support defined in some global
compilation defines|flags. I thought that CPPDEFINES was that "global"
flag for blender (and from tests made sound so),
but of course if you guarantee that being defined in BLI_storage.h would
propagate to every I/O code used in blender|blenderplayer|GE
(needed because the largefile functions are defined at macro level), for
me it's even a lot better
(indeed the first commit in r13728 was to intern/storage.c and not to
BLI_storage.h). On the other hand BLI_storage.h
was the place where I've added such defines in my first attempt, but
then having noticed that some element of the
code would have been left out from such definitions, I changed the
approach, and used the one of scons options.
> Instead, it now is only included in blenlib storage.h, with a few lines
> of code, which is the default include for file stuff in Blender. That
> works well for everyone, and is elegant, and well documented.
>
> The fact verse misses the Largefile is really irrelevant...

just to know, why it's not relevant?

Bye
Giuseppe.