[Bf-committers] Blender, CSG and Carve.

Tobias Sargeant tobias.sargeant at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 02:50:38 CET 2008

On 13/02/2008, at 12:23 PM, Stephen Swaney wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 11:40:07AM +1100, Tobias Sargeant wrote:
>>
>> Qt's free license is GPL, as far as I'm aware. By free
>> for commercial use, I assume you mean for internal
>> commercial use (unless the company was prepared to give
>> away the source code to their application as well).
>
> As Martin says, this is implied.  But it also means
> you cannot encumber Blender with additional license
> requirements or restrict its use.  Commercial use
> vs non-commercial use is a meaningless distinction
> as far as Blender is concerned.

I guess the question, fundamentally, is: is the Qt license
free enough that it could be used in Blender? If it is,
then I think that's fine. I certainly didn't intend to
suggest that I wanted to place any restrictions on how
Blender could be used.

My position, basically, is this:

1) I do not want companies to be able to create software
    for profit using Carve without either compensating me,
    or distributing the source code to that software.

2) Subject to 1), I want to be able to make Carve as
    widely and freely available as possible.

I'm pretty sure that that's entirely compatible with
GPL dual licensing, and reasonably sure that that
doesn't provide any sort of roadblock to Blender (as
Blender is already GPL'ed).

Toby.