[Bf-committers] Group visisbility /invisibility toggle

David Bryant aceone at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 4 11:59:44 CET 2008

As mentioned in an earlier post, I'm writing a group visibility
/invisibility toggle for groups in the Groups panel as an experimental
feature instead of layer functionality.GUI is up and working and almost
finished and even toggles to invisible.

Obstacles:
When the obstacle is hidden,it needs to be selected to be brought back to
the active layer.Blender doesn't have a function that selects groups by the
assigned name so as to not depend on  targeting a specific object in a
certain group for visibility / invisibility (as the outliner currently does)
in order to toggle it back to visible .The current group functions  loops to
test if a certain object is in a certain group and selects it.

The whole group needs to be able to toggle for visibility / invisibility.

The current fuction setup is no good for an visibility / invisibility toggle
setup.

I need to write a function that selects and test objects based on the
assigned NAMES of groups then I will be completely finished then Whole
groups can be toggled for
visibility / invisibility in addition to specific objects in a certain group
(already in function in the outliner).

Then groups will add even more power to scene organization.

My question is how is the assigned name of a group linked to the objects in
a group so as to select the object based on the NAME of the group so that I
can write a function that does this?

Hope someone can help.
Digikiller

P.S.
I'm going to port the named layers code patch to compile with the current
SVN code this evening with a .blend and update my wiki page (even though the
project in my opinion has been reduced to purely personal in the eyes of
others).