[Bf-committers] "Official" CUDA Benchmark/Implementation Thread

Matt Ebb matt at mke3.net
Thu Dec 18 23:38:34 CET 2008

On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 8:18 AM, Timothy Baldridge <tbaldridge at gmail.com> wrote:

>> As you can see the first 7 functions consume more than 90% of the total
>> time during a rendering...
>>

> That brings about an interesting idea. If really that much of the code
> is spent in ray intersection, then the question is can that part be
> pulled out on its own and turned somehow into batches?

As far as I'm aware, this sort of thing isn't easy to do on the GPU.
If you want to see what the 'state of the art' of realtime raytracing
/ ray intersection acceleration, have a look at the forums at
http://ompf.org/forum/.

Real benefits could be made in this area simply* by implementing an
improved intersection acceleration structure to the current octree.
Yves Poissant did a lot of work experimenting with different systems,
finding that SAH_BVH was best in his opinion. His patch is here:
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=

cheers

Matt

*for large values of simple ;)